Thursday, December 5, 2013

Just Show Up!

Livy and Taylor meeting for the very first time

I love this picture. It is from the first time that Taylor met Livy. As I mentioned in my first post, I read about Livy’s Hope and became acquainted with Livy’s mom Allison via Facebook. (Don’t forget to check out their website and read all about Livy and their mission). They posted an event on Facebook for a Wonka Bar sale at a local bagel shop. It was to promote their upcoming Imagine a Cure Willy Wonka fundraiser. Some of the Wonka Bars had golden tickets which would give the purchaser entry into the fundraiser. The bagel shop was close to my home so I decided to go out and show my support. As soon as Taylor and I arrived, Allison immediately recognized us and gave us a big hug. We met Livy’s sister Hailey (quite the inspiration herself!) and some of their friends and family. It was so great to join them and be a part of this fun morning. Livy arrived a little later that morning and we got to meet her for the first time. My heart just melted as I brought Taylor over to say hi. Both Taylor and Livy are non-verbal, but they did not need words. They spoke to each other as they do to all of us who know them – with their eyes and their smiles. This is the day it all started - the day that I realized that I can make an impact, even if I just showed up. I actually ran into a few people I knew who were coming to the bagel shop for breakfast and I was able to sell them a few candy bars. Maybe they would have purchased one even if I wasn’t there but maybe that small effort of just showing up made the difference of a few extra candy bar sales.
 
You know, I think about that day and how I almost didn't go. Sometimes I use my special needs daughter as an excuse to not do things that may make me feel uncomfortable or maybe would inconvenience me. “Taylor is in a bad mood or isn’t feeling well so I’ll just stay home”. But I didn’t let excuses stop me. I showed up. And we met some wonderful new friends.


Don't make excuses, make something incredible happen in your life right now. 
Greg Hickman  

No comments:

Post a Comment